Monday, January 7, 2013

Cameron's birth story.

 On Christmas night we crawled in to bed hoping to get a few hours of sleep... but as we closed our eyes all we could think about was that this was the last night we would sleep in our apartment as a family of two. It wasn't a sad feeling in the slightest, it was an anxious, excited, nervous feeling. Hubby and I were about to become parents. 

I think I may have gotten two or three hours of sleep before my alarm went off at 4:30 am. I had to shower, straighten my hair, and get all pretty before heading to the hospital for delivery! My nerves were high, but my excitement was even higher!!

{Our last picture before heading to the hospital!}
We headed to Brookwood and carried all of our bags and went up to the third floor: Labor and Delivery floor. I signed in at the front desk at 6:00 am and they quickly took us to our room. The room our baby boy would be born in. 


First things first, I got that gown on and hopped in the bed. Our nurse put my IV in and I was ready to get started! She told me Dr. Adcock would be there sometime before 7:00 to check me and get the pitocin started! He got there around 6:45 and he said I really was starting at 1 cm and atleast 50% effacement. I thought, oh gosh, a set back from the start- we thought I was beginning at 2 cm and 70% effacement! But nonetheless we were ready to get everything going and progressing!


By 8:30 or so the contractions had really picked up and I was starting to feel uncomfortable. My nurse told me that I could get some pain meds through my IV before receiving my epidural- I was pumped for that!


By 9:30 I was convincing myself to hold out til 10 am to get the epidural. {I thought that 4 cm was the magic number but I learned that isn't so}. I was SO ready to get my meds but was trying to hold off because they were telling me that it could potentially slow down my progress- you just never know! People who go natural are amazingggg. I have no clue how they survive that!


So right after 10 am I received my epidural. I was a little scared before the whole process about getting this- I was so scared it would hurt. Um, no... it's amazing. Best drugs everrrr. I felt the bee sting numbing shot and thats it. Yes please. After a few minutes I was feeling good and ready to have this baby. Thankfully, after getting it I actually started progressing even faster. By 1 oclock pm I was complete and ready to push.

{The last picture of our family of two}
Before starting to push the family got to come and say good luck- which was so very comforting. Mom, dad, Liz, Wade, Amy, Tatum, Blake, Katherine, Caroline, Grandaddy and Grandmother all came to see us! By this point I was feeling a lot of pressure and ready to get it all done!


I pushed with the nurse for about 15 to 20 minutes before she called Dr. Adcock in. She was already seeing Cameron's head by then! When Dr. Adcock got there I pushed through 3 more contractions and Cameron was born!! We had a little scare- atleast for us uneducated people- when Cameron was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck two times. After he came out the cut the cord from around him and set him on me- at that point he wasn't breathing and his lips were blue... so immediately the tears came. Right after about 10 people rushed in and helped him get a jump start- as they were calling it. Once they had him going I got to hold my sweet baby boy. He was precious.


And content. And amazing. And ours. Cameron Martin Watford. My son.


After getting cleaned up in the labor & delivery room and feeding Cameron for the first time we went up to the postpartum floor to get ready and welcome our family to meet Cameron! The nurse went over some hospital info and then finally our family came to meet our son. The nurse gave him a bath and everybody watched and took tons of pictures!


{Our little family of three!}

Our hospital stay: We had a nice time in the hospital but were definitely ready to head home when they gave us the green flag. Matthew and I loaded up and headed home on Friday the 28th. Cameron did great- he loves to ride in the car!




{Our handsome little guy ready to go home for the first time!}

3 comments:

  1. That just brought tears to my eyes!! Love little Cameron (and his Mommy and Daddy) so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can't wait to meet Cameron!

    ReplyDelete